Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dilli Haat

If you love arts and crafts and if you love food and if you are in Delhi then this place is a ‘must see’. Artisans from all over India come here to display and share their craft and if you are an artist then this place is full of inspiration...
India is a mix of variety of cultures with different foods, different costumes, different art and crafts and of course different languages and since it would be impossible to visit and experience each and every culture in its native environment, Dilli Haat offers a good substitute for a fraction of cost...

All that said, I have lots of memories attached to this place... I used to pass this place every day, to and from my work and often I’d stop there just to see who are the new artists there and what dances/dramas are being performed on the stage.
It was the place to buy unique gifts, to take pictures, to sit down and write my journal, to soak it all in, to loose yourself or find you... this was my place.
And it still is to quite an extent, no trip to India can be complete without a visit to Dilli Haat. It’s built on a place that used to be a landfill but now with its open spaces, red brick buildings, yummy food smells and artists from all over India... this is the best place in Delhi. This is Delhi as I wanna remember it...

I have no problem with modernization but huge malls, concrete jungles, bad traffic jams, no greenery and lots of pollution is not my idea of city life. I know this place used to be home but now it’s so foreign that I need inhalers to be able to breathe here...

Anyways, I was telling you about Dilli Haat...



I bought this sari there and it’s my favorite. Its unique and I love the fact that its not mass produced, its hand made, its part of someone’s family heritage, somebody has put in a lot of work in weaving this silk and then making it the way it is... I love the personal connection.
So, why am I talking about this place today because I miss not being there today, but you know what?
I’ll be there in a month or so and that’s a very happy thought...

Here’s video of one of my favorite song, sung by my favorite singer and has my favorite actors in it but the reason I want you to see it is because it reminds me of Delhi... the old fashioned Delhi...

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photo of you! Dilli Haat sounds so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete