Thursday, December 29, 2011

Project Life: A NEW SCRAPBOOKING PROJECT

Disclaimer: I have started this project by getting the supplies from the local scrapbook store and have not yet ordered the ‘Project Life’ kit online because I want to start the project right with the first week of New Year and I am not sure if things will get shipped that fast and I’ll have time to prepare it but I intend to order the basic starter kit soon. So I am not sure if it should yet be called that… “Project Life”
This is a scrapbooking project where you document your life on a weekly basis and so at the end of the year, there would be 52 two page layouts. The best thing about this style of documenting is the little pocket pages where one doesn’t have to wait till the end of the week to bring a page together, it would be more like, make as you go… I am thinking that would be a good way to add kids words, art and restaurant menus etc. that I collect anyways but never bring together in a presentable stage.

I wish this concept was around when my kids were babies and the day-to day changes were more dramatic to capture but I still think that it would be a cool way to document life for this coming year. Actually I am thinking I should transfer all the little milestones for kids that are stored on calendars into another parallel book intermittent with the baby pages that I have already made for their books.

Now I need to make a routine and stick to it because as the past record (Ali E’s a week in life project) suggests things often find their way into neatly labeled envelopes for each day with pictures and all and they group together at the bottom of the drawer to be turned into a book at a later point in time. Yes, that’s what happened to my ‘a week in life’ project and now I am taking an even bigger challenge that would require discipline throughout the year, even or especially when I am busy.


So to start out with the project, I bought an assorted multi pack of ‘We are Memory keepers’ multi pocket page. Although I haven't decided what kind of album I am planning to use but I am thinking that for consistency I will stick with their 3 ring binder too.



Next, I raided my own supply closet for those precious papers that were bought with much ohhhs and Ahhhs and were stored away for special projects. Well, I have since learned that there is no special occasion if not every moment is treated like it. So what better way to use them than to document the everyday moments?

The first pocket size I tackled was 4x6 and then 4x4. I’ll leave the other sizes pockets bare for making then in future as I go. I like the 4x4 size because I assume many of my prints are going to come from instagram, so while I made note cards for some pockets, I’ll use the others for pictures directly.


As I was planning my weeks ahead, I noted important dates, festivals, spring breaks, holiday etc. on the 4x6 that was dedicated for the week. The other thing that I have really liked about making my own 4x6 is using my own quotes. I have a habit of writing inspiring quotes/words on sticky notes and plastering my work area with that and now with this project all those inspiring words will find a home and be documented for future as well.


So, with all these preparation I began and hope to share a weekly lay out here for the next 52 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I love the WRMK 3 ring albums! My favorites!
    I really debated doing this project, but then decided to wait. I am looking forward to see what you do, so please share!!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I came across your site from the discomania pinterest page and I've got to tell you, I absolutely love this idea! I wish you the best and I hope you find a great way to fit it into your routine! Nothing makes me happier than going through my scrapbook pages and remembering all those good memories. As much as I love digital photography and blogging - there's something so awesome about physically having it in your hands. It actually feels like something you can (literally) pass onto people that way. Can't wait to see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete