Saturday, June 01, 2013

Kids Play & Work Room

Don’t be afraid of bright colors; colors specially the bright ones don’t need to come in pint size. 
This is something that I realized while decorating kids play room.
When I picked the color, DH was skeptical but since it was the play room, he didn't object. I had posted pictures of kids bedroom a while back and I guess this is the counterpart of that room. The furniture in the bedroom and playroom were decided based on the fact that in teenage years the girls might need their separate spaces and so the beds and the secretary desks are in matching paint colors.



It took me a long time to share kids playroom because I wished the room to be done before I present it and it was kind of a learning curve for me to understand that design and decor evolves continually and it is tough to reach the ideal state of 'completely done'.
So here is a quick tour of the girls playroom, you might recognize some of the elements from my DIY posts but it all comes together here in this space...

When we first moved into the house, I knew that I wanted my girls to share rooms for the time being so instead of setting up two individual rooms, I designed two shared spaces, a bedroom and a play/work room.
I asked the girls to choose the colors for their room and they both wanted to see their favorite colors in the room, Pink and Purple. Since I believe in the power of colors, I chose calming lavender for the bedroom and an electric pink with bright lemon green for the playroom. 



My girls played significant role in designing/decorating the room besides just choosing the paint color, they helped me paint it too. 


Remember the Play Kitchen that we had built last year
The Pink (SW 6850,Vivacious Pink) and Lemon Green (SW 6916 Impetuous) separated by a chair rail that is painted in antique white (SW 6119) provides a perfect backdrop. The tall white IKEA secretaries add the much needed negative space and create a balance. 



This is the repurposed shelf I had mentioned before

The art on the wall and things in the shelves are stuff that the kids have created or play with constantly. The room constantly changes with their interests and habits but no matter what it is tough to find a dull moment in that room.  


All rooms need a window seat for reading and day dreaming...

I think the bright colors provide a boost to the imagination that one might need during dress up games and while jumping through the rainbow riding on a unicorn.



What I really like about the room is that the bright colors, that might otherwise seem to dominate the decor, provide an ideal background for the Kids art wall. All the various colors, patterns and textures bloom beautifully and gets attention and what's best is that the vibrant personality of my girls really shows through... 




No comments:

Post a Comment