Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Repurposed shelf for kids room


Sharing this project, which has been in the pipeline for quite sometime, but I finished it very recently. I think I acquired this piece a couple of years ago from a garage sale and it sat in the garage collecting dust and served a shelter to spiders until late last year when during a cleaning spree I had to make a quick decision if I wanted to keep it or let it go and I decided to revamp it.

I think, it was meant to be used as a jewelry-hanging shelf but I didn’t care for the numerous hooks and little shelves. First I removed all the little hooks and gave it a good rinse. Then I primed the piece with the kilz primer. Since it was a piece for kids’ room, I let them help me and take the ownership of the piece.  


I used left over spray paint from my sofa project, the heirloom white that goes perfect with the Shermin Williams’s antique white, the color of the baseboard and trim in the room.


After it dried completely and then some, I finally found the time to decoupage paper that coordinated with the colors of the room. I did contemplate using gray base color for the papers to ground the colors in the room but finally found a balance in my scrapbooking supplies Basic Grey’s Oh Baby series. It is an old package that I used for some of the girls’ baby pages and had the perfect balance for colors and subdued background.

The piece is now complete and waiting to be hung up. The girls have plans to display some recently acquired squinkies and little books and I am looking forward to it all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment