Thursday, September 25, 2008

The world is an oyster and you its pearl...

Picking out your oyster and then finding what kind of pearl you’ll get inside is a very popular tourist activity in Hawaii. Although I have never done it myself, we thought it would be a good idea for my girl to see where pearls come from...


So, she pointed to the oyster that she wanted


Her Mamma took it out of the bucket for her


After a little ceremony of tapping wooden tongs on the oyster and shouting Aloha, the lady at the shop cut open the oyster....


The pearl was pink in color... we were told that pink signifies ‘Beauty’


The pearl is now turned into a pendant with a gold ‘Hula’ skirt holding it together and waiting in a pretty jewelry box for a special occasion...

1 comment:

  1. We were in Hawaii years ago and I did this -- I got a black pearl -- it was very pretty! My husband had it set in a ring when we got home, but it has since broken! :(

    Love Saumya's pretty pearl -- she looks so sweet holding it for the camera!

    ReplyDelete