Monday, October 28, 2013

My Etsy shop...

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."      -MLK, Jr.


So, I've talked a lot about, mindful decor, and conscientious approach to making choices, and it feels like it's time for some action in the form of my own Etsy shop where you can find one-of-a-kind pieces for your personal use or for gifting to others.


Over the years, during my travels  I've collected some articles which to me looked good and functional and which instead of being mass-produced, were hand-crafted artifacts, to which the artisan could personally relate to, and not as a cog in a giant machinery but as the creator. This would become obvious in the these wabi-sabi pieces, which bear the imprint of the craftist's hand as it shaped the piece.

The craft forms, that yielded these articles, have been practiced for centuries, with the techniques of giving form to the article and then giving it visual appeal, having been passed down generations. It would be rare for any two pieces to look alike, even though the designs maybe similar.

At present my shop barely scratches the surface of indigenous art and craft forms out there, and presents a mere glimpse. But this little shop, kitty corner from your abode on the internet, holds a promise - that of bringing to fore art form that are in need of patronage. 


This shop represents commerce not for its own sake but in aid of crafts that may not make it on their own. The profits from the sale from this shop would be reinvested towards the betterment of artisans, mainly the women folks pursuing art as a means for livelihood. 

This holiday season instead of buying mass market products, go for artisanal gifts - its a win win all around...

2 comments:

  1. Some lovely pieces there.
    I love the papier mache box you gave me on your visit.
    It sits on my dresser holding a precious ring and necklace from my trip to Mexico (when I am not wearing them)
    :)

    ReplyDelete