Friday, September 06, 2019

Is there a Whole30 friendly Latte?


I have been searching high and low for a milk style beverage- coconut milk or almond milk for making lattes at home or even add some to my afternoon coffees.

All the non-diary beverages have soy lecithin, guar gum, carrageenan or some other unpronounceable ingredient to make the consistency of the beverage closest to that of milk.
I didn’t buy any of those to keep in my fridge but instead told myself to make almond milk at home, in my own kitchen if I’m so inclined. So far, my craving for a milk-like product hasn’t inspired me enough to put in the extra work.

Are you wondering the purpose of this post yet? I'm not sure there is one.

I was having a rough day yesterday and needed a pick me up in the afternoon. I decided that I’ll walk to the nearby Starbucks and get myself a non-dairy latte made with all those unpronounceable ingredients even if they are not Whole 30 approved. I asked my barista to make a tall (8oz) non-dairy latte with unsweetened coconut milk. The beverage I got was a little too sweet to be unsweetened.

I asked to check the box and found that both coconut milk and almond milk had cane sugar in them along with all the other ingredients that I possibly shouldn’t be eating. The box in big letters said “unflavored” and the barista(s) (yes multiple baristas) took it as no sugar added and were annoyed that I want to look at the ingredients and didn’t take their word on face value. I stood at the counter for a solid 1 minute and it felt everything like the 1-minute counter on the microwave when you are in a rush to get to the next thing.

Yep! It was a very slow 1 minute.

And then (insert climatic music of your choice), I decided to take that coconut milk latte, walk to the park, sit on a bench and enjoy it.  

Am I going to do over the last 15 days, no I don’t think so.
Am I going to give up on Whole 30, nope, nada! 
Am I still looking for the perfect non-dairy beverage, you betcha.  
Do I know the first food I’d like to introduce back in my diet at the end of 30 day, yes it would be dairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment