Thursday, August 05, 2010

My style is 'Glamour'

Right now, among all the other things that occupy an individual’s mind during a move, my brain is buzzing with home decorating ideas. I cannot think straight, see straight, and even dream straight… every stimuli is delicately covered in that warm tipsy feeling after half a glass of wine (for me, for DH it would perhaps be three glasses of wine). I see design inspiration and I see party ideas and I see friends I’d like to cook for, through my wine tinted glass of course.


The only room that I have almost figured out is kids’ bedroom. Rather than giving them separate rooms, they share one sleep room and one play room; that’s how I grew up, sharing room with my brother and it was a very important feature of my childhood so I am continuing with it till the girls demand separate rooms for themselves.

Anyways, so I have the girls room designed in my mind although I cannot execute it to perfection because the quilt of my dreams is coming from ‘Nepura’ a village in Bihar, India. I met with these wonderful, hardworking ladies who have amazing talent to convert ordinary piece of fabric into great expressions of art. I wanted silk quilt covers with the perfect accent of lilac and since there is no way of exchanging the idea of that perfect color in silk, I’ll have to wait till I actually go there myself. So, I am still looking for other good options in the interim.

For the kids’ play room, I want it to be filled with color on a subtle background and on his recent trip to India; DH brought me these perfect pouf pillow covers with embroidery from the Gujarat region of India. I had patterns lined up and wanted to make my own but during the last visit to the Museum store at MIA, I was smitten by these fabric stools and showed it to DH. And often all I have to do in my life is to express my wishes and things just fall in place so did these (will share pictures soon). Yes, I am blessed… The inspiration pieces haven’t yet materialized into the perfect room but I know it will…

Other than that I am clueless about what I really want in the rest of the house. I guess I’ll have to live there to get the real feel but in my mind there are scenes from that hotel room in Hawaii, mahogany wood with serene aqua and perky orange or the tiny yet sophisticated hotel room from New York and the art work from our Hotel room in Paris and on and on… They are vividly present in my memory but when I try to bring them to reality the details lose their sharpness. Another bug or feature in this design scheme is that I have set myself on a budget not so much because I cannot afford it but more because I want to pace myself and not fall into the trap of buying all matched ‘stuff’ from one store just because the designer decided so… I am not good at following recipes and directions and I have to figure my own way out so this would be an opportunity to bring in my home what I truly love and not because it’s a market/design standard.

I am hoping once the albums come out of the box and our lives actually move out of boxes and into a home, all pieces will come together. And of course I’ll keep you posted.

I took an online quiz over at Ethan Ellen to see which category my design style would fall into and it seems my style is ‘Glamour’.

The verdict is in—your style is Glamour. Glamour is the penthouse with a view, the Old Hollywood mansion, the home of the connoisseur. A knowing marriage of fashion with sumptuous comfort. A fearless blending of Art Déco, Chippendale, and Modern. Glamour is shamelessly smart, elegant, and timeless.
This online portfolio shows your style. Brought to life in rooms. A subtle mix of furniture, accessories, and attitude. Different “looks.” Because every home should be unique...

No comments:

Post a Comment